We're looking for a tech guru at Smiling Mind!
05 September 2017 Smiling Mind
OVERVIEW OF SMILING MIND
Smiling Mind is Australia’s leading wellbeing not-for-profit, providing free technology- based, preemptive mental health programs. Since its launch in 2012, Smiling Mind has reached over 2,000,000 App downloads, 25,000 Education Program users, and partnerships with the likes of IBM, Cricket Australia, Virgin Mobile Australia, beyondblue, the ABC and Nike.
Smiling Mind’s vision is to see Mindfulness Meditation on the Australian Curriculum by 2020.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The Smiling Mind Technology & Architecture Manager is a newly created role, and a key leadership position.
Working closely and collaboratively with stakeholders in the business and with 3rd party vendors, this role will involve equal focus on owning the technical vision and architecture of Smiling Mind’s suite of products (50% of focus) in addition to overseeing Smiling Mind’s internal IT function (50%) of focus.
The successful candidate will have a strategic mind-set with a genuine interest in emerging and disruptive technology. You will be a “big picture thinker” and energised by “the art of the possible” and how technology can be used to bring our vision to life. You will be able to clearly layout options around how to make an idea a reality, provide a recommended way forward, and clearly provide a rationale around your point of view.
You will be comfortable managing and working with a 3rd party development team, and will be able to ensure that designed solutions are developed and deployed effectively to meet objectives.
You also thrive in situations where you can get your hands dirty and you can be scrappy when you need to be: in order to figure out your toughest problems as early as possible, or to determine the feasibility of a potential solution, but alway consider and clearly communicate the technical trade-offs and technical debt that will need to be addressed in the future.
- Own the technology at Smiling Mind across technical architecture, performance, security and scalability.
- Drive and own the data security and governance program of work.
- Assist in strategic and tactical planning, development, evaluation and coordination of information and technology systems.
- Present ideas, concepts and solutions to the leadership team with a solid business case and case for change for the adoption of new technology.
- Architect IT solutions across a variety of technologies and products working closely with the GM of Strategy and Product.
- Ensure designed systems are scalable, secure, robust and cost effective, requiring minimal maintenance and can be easily evolved to meet future business needs.
- Assist with product and delivery teams to ensure designed solutions are developed and deployed effectively to meet objectives
- Work within strictly defined time frames and provide high level guidance on size and scale of work required for solutions
- Engage business stakeholders in understanding potential technologies capabilities
- Define and represent system architectures and their potential interactions in suitable formats to allow the development of working software
- Understand system work flows to produce technical solutions to integrate vendor solutions to systems
- Analyse operations to evaluate the performance of the internal IT function in meeting objectives and to determine areas of potential cost reduction, productivity increase, program improvement, or policy change.
- Full stack experience, with a back-end focus.
- Experience architecting and implementing solutions spanning multiple technologies.
- Experience designing scalable architectures within cloud architectures such as AWS.
- Experience in security and data governance.
- Experience integrating systems using different technologies, protocols and API's.
- Solid understanding of development and solution design principles and non-functional requirements.
- Strong analytical mind and ability to break down problems to design appropriate solutions.
- Positive attitude to problem solving and ability to work within teams to find solutions.
- Ability to build strong working relationships with both technical and business stakeholders.
- Solid communication skills written and verbal and ability to break down solutions with different diagram techniques.
- Strong initiative and self-starter able to investigate current landscape and find.
- information to produce suitable solution design.
- Experience with Agile.
- Belief in the purpose and philosophy of Smiling Mind.
- Entrepreneurial and creative thinking skills.
- Strong motivation and drive.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Leadership, accountability, ability to work to timelines and manage competing tasks.
- Ability to build and foster strategic relationships.
- Good working relationships.
- A belief in mindfulness, its practice, and its ability to support mental health.
- A personal mindfulness practice.
We are a supportive and friendly team. We are a small team, but what we lack in size, we make up for in passion. We are open-minded, curious, and driven, and believe work should be fulfilling, playful, fast-paced, creative and collaborative.
GM of Product and Strategy on a weekly basis as well as Smiling Mind CEO. NECESSARY ATTRIBUTES Creativity, Integrity, Intelligence, Charm, Sense of Humour, Passion for Problem Solving, Initiative, Persistence (ie. Never Gives Up), Purpose-Driven, Thrives on Change, Follows Through, Competitive, Challenges the Status Quo, Positive.
This is an ongoing full-time position.
To be negotiated based on skills and experience.